Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fooooood!

My boy LOVES to eat. And I mean EAT! He has not refused a single thing I have offered him and he enjoys sitting and eating with us as we eat our dinner as well. I want to give an insight on what, why and how I feed this growing little man of mine. The only downside right now is that he cannot have eggs, so I have to get created with baked goods and other breakfast proteins. He getting retested for allergies in December so we will know if eggs are a go. I tried reintroducing them but he started to get a rash so I quickly nixed that for now. Bummer because we love eggs around here!

I have a followed a feeding method called Baby Led Weaning which basically allows the baby to start on solid foods from the start, completely feeding themselves. No purees or spoon feeding, although I have done smoothies and we use puree pouches for on the good snacks. Bodie took to this method like a champ and has been a super star eater ever since!



I get asked a lot about WHAT I feed him and why. First of all, I have not introduced any grains yet- no rice, wheat, oats, etc. There is a reason to this madness ;) This is a great article as to why infant cereals are not ideal. Why ditch infant cereals
For the most part, babies lack the enzyme to digest grains until a year old. Because of this, many babies will experience digestive upset, gas, bloating and constipation. At 6 months of age, babies can most easily digest proteins and cooked vegetables. And with the vegetables, a healthy fat can be added to aid in nutrient absorption (butter, ghee, coconut oil, olive oil or animal fats). Meat provides a lot of nutrients that are very essential for brain growth.
Chicken right off the bone and zucchini noodles with marinara 
 


I also have followed this book somewhat, which provides great examples of nutritious first foods and beyond.


Turkey meat loaf with liver added


If you leave ANY food on the ground, even at a friends house, Bo WILL find it and eat it!
Staying hydrated is equally important, but I stay far away from fruit juices. Instead, coconut water provides good electrolytes and hydration. His main drink of choice remains breast milk or water :)
YUM! Coconut water
A fun list of everything Bo has tried, and of course LOVED! It has been fun developing a fresh palate :)
  • Avocado
  • Banana
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Berries of all kinds
  • Liver (yup, he loved it)
  • Grass fed beef
  • Chicken
  • Salmon
  • Tuna
  • Spaghetti squash
  • Zucchini
  • Yellow squash
  • Marinara
  • Lentils
  • kale
  • Spinach
  • Chard
  • Watermelon
  • Carrots
  • Cucumber 
  • Beets
  • Coconut
  • Pumpkin
  • Peas
  • Parsnip
  • Tomatoes
  • Melons
    • And I am sure I missing some foods, but this is the basis of his diet at a ripe age of 8 months!
Spaghetti squash with marinara, carrots and shredded beef. One of his favorite meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment